Imam Abu al-Khayr Ismail al-Talqani al-Qazwini authored this great treatise, and despite its concise nature, it effectively highlights the status of the Amir al-Mu’minin Uthman ibn Affan Radiyallahu anhu. He titled the treatise: An act of devotion for the two realms in mentioning the virtues of Uthman Ibn Affan, may Allah’s pleasure be upon him. It is the earliest work that compiles the merits of Uthman Radiyallahu anhu in an isolated text.
Click one of the sections below:
Biography of Abu al Khayr al Talqani
The importance of the book; its title and authenticating its attribution to the author
Sources of The Treatise
Abu al Khayr’s Teachers
Portraiture of the Manuscript
Approach Adopted During Editing
1. The Bashfulness of the Angels around ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu
2. The bashfulness of the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam around ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu, more than what he was around Abu Bakr and ‘Umar, due to ‘Uthman’s radiya Llahu ‘anhu shyness
3. Glad tidings of the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam to ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu together with a misfortune that shall afflict him
4. The Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam applauding ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu for the firmness of his faith
5. Allah subhanahu wa ta ‘ala marrying Umm Kulthum radiya Llahu ‘anha; daughter of the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, to ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu with a dowry like that of Ruqayyah radiya Llahu ‘anha
6. The Prophet prohibiting ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu from taking off the garment that symbolizes his Caliphate towards the end of his life. As well as establishing the legitimacy of his reign.
7. A similar narration
8. The Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam informing ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu at the time of civil strife he will be besieged while he is on the right path.
9. ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu, the upright legitimate leader endorsed by Allah on the day of the Fitnah (civil strife).
10. Ibn ‘Umar defending ‘Uthman from three accusations cast at him.
11. Establishing the legitimacy of ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu Caliphate based on the consensus of the Ummah and the equivalency of his deeds to that of the entire Ummah.
12. The Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam asking forgiveness for all of ‘Uthman’s sins
13. The verse “Is one who is devoutly obedient during periods of the night, prostrating and standing…” revealed with regards to ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu according to ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar radiya Llahu ‘anhuma.
14. ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu being a legitimate Khalifah and his reign was a Caliphate that was of mercy and Prophethood. As was the reigns of the Two Sages and ‘Ali radiya Llahu ‘anhu.
15. Two traits ‘Uthman possessed which none of his contemporaries had
16. ‘Uthman the best amongst the companions after the two sages
17. ‘Uthman was appointed Khalifah unanimously by the council of the Shurah with their blessings. Then the entire Ummah agreed to his appointment.
18. ‘Uthman seeing the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam in his dream a night prior to his demise and the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam informing that he will break fast with them
19. The perfection of ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu conviction testified to by the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam and best exemplified by his contentedness and forbearance in buying and selling
20. Allah subhanahu wa ta ‘ala detests one who is hateful of ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu
21. Ten traits that ‘Uthman uniquely possessed among the companions
22. ‘Uthman sacrificing himself for the sake of the Ummah, preventing the shedding of blood in name
23. The Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam stating ‘Uthman is in Jannat and the Companions regarding ‘Uthman as most virtuous during the time of the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam over all the Companions besides Abu Bakr and ‘Umar
24. The title of ‘Uthman Dhi al Nurayn (possessor of the two lights) inscribed on the leaves of the trees in Jannat alongside Abu Bakr and ‘Umar
25. The Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam sending Zaid ibn Arqam to give the glad tidings of Paradise to ‘Uthman after Abu Bakr and ‘Umar
26. The Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam testifying to the martyrdom of ‘Uthman and ‘Umar
27. Allah subhanahu wa ta ‘ala allowing ‘Uthman to intercede on the Day of Qiyamah equal to the number of people from Rabi’ah and Mudar
28. What is prepared for ‘Uthman in the Hereafter
29. ‘Uthman’s achievements and virtues deeds in Islam
30. ‘Uthman was killed unjustly
31. ‘Abdullah ibn Salam strong condemnation of ‘Uthman’s killing
32. Aisha radiya Llahu ‘anha cursing the killers of ‘Uthman, praying against them, and Allah subhanahu wa ta ‘ala accepting it
33. ‘Uthman radiya Llahu ‘anhu submitting himself to the will of Allah; as seen by him in the dream, until he was killed
34. The Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam calling the detractors from ‘Uthman hypocrites and commanding him to protect the Caliphate
35. The Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam seeking forgiveness for ‘Uthman and informing him that he is from the inhabitants of Jannat
36. Killing ‘Uthman unjustly opened the door of civil strife upon this nation. The perfection of ‘Uthman generosity and the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam making Du’a for him
37. The reverence of ‘Ali, Aisha, and many other Companions for ‘Uthman; and their strong condemnation of his murder
38. ‘Uthman will be the friend of the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam in Jannat
39. ‘Uthman is from those who believe then fear Allah and believe, and then fear Allah and do good
40. ‘Uthman’s rank to Allah due to the calamity that befell him and him being from the residents of Jannat
Back to top