BACK⇒ Return to Table of contents
The Twenty Ninth Narration
Anas ibn Malik radiya Llahu ‘anhu says:
أن عمر بن الخطاب كان إذا قحطوا استسقى بالعباس بن عبد المطلب فقال اللهم إنا كنا نتوسل إليك بنبينا صلى الله عليه وسلم فتسقينا وإنا نتوسل إليك بعم نبينا فاسقنا قال فيسقون
Whenever drought threatened them, ‘Umar ibn al Khattab would seek rain by the virtue of ‘Abbas ibn ‘Abdul Muttalib.
He used to say, “O Allah! We used to ask You for rain through the virtue of our Prophet, and You would bless us with rain, and now we ask You for rain through the virtue of the uncle of Your Prophet. O Allah ! Bless us with rain.” And so it would rain.
Commentary and Lessons Learnt from this Narration:
- Du’as are accepted through the pious amongst the Ahlul Bayt.
- The desirability of seeking rain by the virtue of the select amongst the Ahlul Bayt. The people should say amin to their supplication as the jurist have mentioned. A group of scholars have attested to this such as al Baghawi.
- When faced with specific or general problems the supplications of the pious should be sought.
- The select amongst the Ahlul Bayt should be treated with the respect one treats their parents with.
- The consensus of the Sahabah radiya Llahu ‘anhum in revering the Ahlul Bayt and their consensus on the fact that ‘Umar radiya Llahu ‘anhu revered them. Furthermore, the consensus of the Sahabah radiya Llahu ‘anhum is deemed a proof in Shari’ah. A lesson worth pondering over.
- Karamat is established in the right of ‘Abbas radiya Llahu ‘anhu, the uncle of Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam.
- The virtue of ‘Umar radiya Llahu ‘anhu in his humility displayed to ‘Abbas radiya Llahu ‘anhu. This virtue has been attested to by al Hafiz in Fath and al Amir in al Subul.
- Seeking of goodness through the virtue of the pious is an established practice of the Sahabah radiya Llahu ‘anhum as seen from this hadith.
- General mass gatherings will only be permitted by the concession of the leader. The people asked ‘Umar radiya Llahu ‘anhu to seek for rain as they had asked Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. Al ‘Ayni says:
أن الخروج إلى الاستسقاء والاجتماع لا يكون إلا بإذن الإمام لما في الخروج والاجتماع من الآفات الداخلة على السلطان، وهذه سنن الأمم السالفة قال تعالى: * (وأوحينا إلى موسى إذ استسقاه قومه)
Going out to seek rain and gatherings would only take place with the permission of the Imam. As this can have negative consequences. This has also been the way of the past nations as Allah subhanahu wa ta ‘ala says:
وَأَوْحَيْنَا إِلَىٰ مُوسَىٰ إِذِ اسْتَسْقَاهُ قَوْمُهُ
And We inspired to Musa when his people implored him for water.
NEXT⇒ The Thirtieth Narration
 Sahih al Bukhari, Hadith: 3507.
 Surah A’raf: 160.
 ‘Umdat al Qari, vol. 7 pg. 23.
Back to top