BACK⇒ Return to Table of contents
The Twenty First Narration
Abu Hurairah radiya Llahu ‘anhu says:
كنا نصلي مع رسول الله – صلى الله عليه وسلم – العشاء الآخرة ، فإذا سجد وثب الحسن والحسين على ظهره ، فإذا رفع رأسه أخذهما من خلفه أخذا رفيقا ، ويضعهما على الارض ، فإذا عاد عادا ، حتى قضى صلاته أقعدهما على فخذيه . قال : فقمت إليه ، فقلت : يا رسول الله ، أردهما ؟ فبرقت برقة ، فقال لهما : ” الحقا بأمكما ” . قال : فمكث ضوؤها حتى دخلا على أمهما
We would read ‘Isha salah with Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. When he would go into sajdah, Hassan and Hussain would jump on his back. When he would lift his head, he would gently take them and place them on the earth. They would repeat and this and so would he until he would complete his salah whereupon he would seat them on his thighs.
I came to him and said, “O Rasulullah, should I take them back?” Just then a flash of lightning struck so he told them, “Go to your mother.”
The light [of the lightning] remained until they entered [the house].
Commentary and Lessons Learnt from this Narration:
- Allah subhanahu wa ta ‘ala showers His special mercies upon the children of the Ahlul Bayt during their upbringing. Taking special care when young results in piety when grown.
- The great virtue of Hassan and Hussain radiya Llahu ‘anhuma even as children.
- Though young, Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam displayed kindness towards them in front of the Sahabah radiya Llahu ‘anhum. In this, there was a lesson for the Sahabah radiya Llahu ‘anhum and the ummah.
- One should be especially compassionate towards the Ahlul Bayt.
- One should hasten towards serving the Ahlul Bayt even if they haven’t asked.
- The permissibility of holding a child whilst praying.
- A child should not be disciplined by physical punishment even if they make a mistake over and over.
- Shifting in salah due to a need is permissible, be it more than once.
- Abu Hurairah radiya Llahu ‘anhu narrated this hadith, a testament to the love he had for the Ahlul Bayt. If he harboured ill feeling toward the Ahlul Bayt—an impossibility—he would not have related this hadith to us.
- The permissibility of bringing children to the masjid for salah. As for the narrations that discourage this practice, one will apply it to instances wherein the child will cause disruptions and perhaps even may mess the place. Though, they should be placed in the last rows, especially the younger ones. Because Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam was the Imam, Hassan and Hussain radiya Llahu ‘anhuma were not disturbing anyone in the row.
NEXT⇒ The Twenty Second Narration
 Majma’ al Zawa’id, Hadith: 15076.
Back to top