The Twelfth Narration
Hudhayfah radiya Llahu ‘anhu said:
سألتني أمي منذ متى عهدك بالنبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال فقلت لها منذ كذا وكذا قال فنالت مني وسبتني قال فقلت لها دعيني فإني آتي النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم فأصلي معه المغرب ثم لا أدعه حتى يستغفر لي ولك قال فأتيت النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم فصليت معه المغرب فصلى النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم العشاء ثم انفتل فتبعته فعرض له عارض فناجاه ثم ذهب فاتبعته فسمع صوتي فقال من هذا فقلت حذيفة قال ما لك فحدثته بالأمر فقال غفر الله لك ولأمك ثم قال أما رأيت العارض الذي عرض لي قبيل قال قلت بلى قال فهو ملك من الملائكة لم يهبط الأرض قبل هذه الليلة فاستأذن ربه أن يسلم علي ويبشرني أن الحسن والحسين سيدا شباب أهل الجنة وأن فاطمة سيدة نساء أهل الجنة
My mother asked me, “When do you plan to meet the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam?”
I said, “I have not had a planned time to see him since such and such time.”
She rebuked and reviled me, so I said to her, “Let me go to the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam so that I may perform Maghrib (prayer) with him, and ask him to seek forgiveness for you and I.”
So, I came to the Prophet salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam, and I prayed Maghrib with him, then he prayed until he prayed ‘Isha. Then he turned and left, I followed him and saw someone come to him and speak in a soft tone. He then heard my voice and said, “Who is this?”
I said, “Hudhayfah?”
He asked, “What is your need?”
I told him what had occurred, and he said, “May Allah forgive you and your mother.”
He then said, “Did you not see someone had come to me?”
I replied in the affirmative.
He said, “Indeed, it was an Angel that never descended to the earth ever before tonight. He sought permission from his Lord to greet me with peace and to give me the glad tidings that Hassan and Hussain are the leaders of the youths of the people of Paradise and that Fatimah is the leader of the women of paradise.”
The chain of narration is authentic. Imam Ahmed and others have recorded it through different chains, from Hudhayfah radiya Llahu ‘anhu and others.
Commentary and Lessons Learnt from this Narration:
1. There is explicit mention of Hassan and Hussain radiya Llahu ‘anhuma being the leaders of the youth in paradise. This is a great accolade to the Ahlul Bayt.
2. This narration stands as proof for those that opine Fatimah radiya Llahu ‘anha to be the most virtuous of women. Other narrations such as this and the fact that she is the daughter of Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam strengthens their view.
3. Fatimah radiya Llahu ‘anha being the leader of the women of Paradise, as is in this narration, refutes the notion of those who believe in the prophethood of women, as the status of a pious person cannot be greater than a prophet.
4. Making haste in giving glad tidings to the Ahlul Bayt is a favourable quality.
5. The virtue of one who is a source of pleasure for the Ahlul Bayt.
6. To always greet those of the Ahlul Bayt first. However, if someone has cut communications then the individual of the Ahlul Bayt will greet first as this is amongst the noble traits referred to in the narrations. Together with it being a trait of nobility it is the start of reconciliation which Hassan radiya Llahu ‘anhu is a champion off as seen from the Eleventh Narration.
7. This narration is a sign of the true prophethood of Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. He prophesied they would grow into the prime of their youth and be the leaders of the youth of Jannat whilst they were still young children.
8. This narration portrays the immense love the Angels have for the Ahlul Bayt.
9. The inspiring nurturing of the Sahabah radiya Llahu ‘anhum in inculcating the love of Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam mentioned the Angel’s message to Hudhayfah radiya Llahu ‘anhu; a lesson to the ummah that loving his family is loving him.
10. Rasulullah salla Llahu ‘alayhi wa sallam was a human and as such some things remained out of his knowledge. His knowledge was not all-encompassing as is the knowledge of Allah subhanahu wa ta ‘ala. He therefore asked, “Who is this?” to which Hudhayfah radiya Llahu ‘anhu replied with his name. The eminent personalities of the Ahlul Bayt, the Imams, were more so not keepers of divine all-encompassing knowledge.
11. This narration indicates to a great virtue of ‘Ali radiya Llahu ‘anhu that no one else can match. He was married to the leader of the women in paradise and his sons are the leaders of the youth in Paradise.
12. A condensed version of this narration appears in Sunan al Nasa’i al Kubra and other books by way of Abu Sa’id radiya Llahu ‘anhu. The wording of this narration is as follows:
الحسن والحسين سيدا شباب أهل الجنة ، إلا ابني الخالة عيسى بن مريم ، ويحيى بن زكريا
Hassan and Hussain are the two leaders of the youth of Paradise, except for the two cousins, ‘Isa ibn Maryam and Yahya ibn Zakariyya.
Hakm ibn ‘Abdul Rahman is a narrator in this chain. Whilst some have recorded him having a weak memory and weak, there remains consensus that the Prophets ‘alayh al Salam enjoy a higher status than the pious.
 Musnad Imam al Ahmed, Hadith: 22818.